TCM and Allergies:
Allergies is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system.
Body releases histamine- inflammation response: phlegm, red eyes, sneezing, etc.
eyes red and itchy,
airways- sneeze, cough, bronchoconstriction, asthma.
Ears- full or pain.
Skin- rash, eczema, hives.
G.I. tract- abdominal pain, vomit, diarrhea.
Western drugs- hide symptoms, histamine is body way of telling you something.
Alternative to drugs: herbs, acupuncture, tea, qigong.
Common allergic reactions:
Foods: milk, shellfish, peanuts.
Skin- poisonous plants, animals, pollen, latex.
Injection: bee sting, medication.
Medication: various drugs, nuts-shellfish.
Inhalation: pollen, dust, mold, mildew, animal dander.
1. Host factor: age, gender, hereditary etc.
2. Environment: pollen, diet, ect.
Allergic Rhinitis: symptoms of nose: dust, pollen, dander.
1. Lifestyle: avoid allergens
2. Medications: anti-histamines, corticosteroids, decongestants.
3. Herbal: “Jade wind screen”- immunity boosting herbal formula.
4. Prognosis- is good with patient willing to try alternatives.
5. Acupuncture- strengthen the “defensive Qi” immune system.
6. Herbs: list of herbs provided.
7. Teas- sample various teas. Common teas: green tea, astragalus tea, flower tea (chrysanthemum).
8. Qigong: 8 piece brocade/”ba dua jin” is a basic set to try.