As a practitioner of CMA (Chinese martial arts) I have been digger deeper into the mystery of the ancient practices. Shuai Chiao is the oldest of all chinese martial arts dating back several thousands of years and many martial styles like Wu Tang, Shaolin, neijia- (Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyiquan) and dozens of other systems contain many of the techniques.
I have met several Shaui Chiao instructors in the mid to late 1990’s who taught many of the throws and techniques in the neijia from both the Mainland China of Beijing and Shanghai, as well as Chinese masters from Taiwan who are inheritors on this martial art. I have not however practice just Shaui Chiao itself.
Here are some things I have learned about it.
There is a organization called the Combat Shuaio Chiao association that is comprised of 4 masters who are disciples of Chang Tung Sheng. Chang Tung Sheng, who won many combat events and was pivotal during the 1936 Nanjing martial arts gathering where Shuai chiao was taught to many different masters.
Some of the basics that comprise the system are:
1. 3 flats- horse stance and feet together squat horse stance
2. X stance- wide and narrow pigeon toed stances
3. Swallow stance- like an X-stance but bending forwards
4. Rhino stance- cross leg and bent forward for throws
5. Mirror stance- bow stance with hook hands
6. Ax Sharpening stance- done with holding bricks, like a circular push in bow stance
7. Ghost stance- one legged balance stance (similar to Wu taiji version of strike tiger)
8. Reaping stance- use a drop stance or pu bu.
9. Lohan sky gazing- bending back looking up at sky
10. balance stance- (she shen tai po)leg and body verticle scale
11. dragon stance- scale with leg and body horizontal
12. Supporting stance- drop stance for fireman carry
13. Root stance- deep bow stance close to yogic posture called:Trikonasana.
14. pulling stance- standing on one leg with one leg held out forward, both palms facing each other. used in arm raising kick.
15. Elbow bending stance- twisted bow stance looking backward used in head locks.
16. hooking stance- twisted balance stance grabbing around your knee.
Some of the techniques for the various stances:
1. Shank pressing takedown: uses the wide X-stance like chen taiji tui shou leg drill.
2. Narrow x-stance or ‘wing chun’ stance- can be used o stop hook kicks, front kicks, catch an leg.
3. Waist control lift: uses the horse riding stance.
4. Body contol squeeze: used horse stance same way taiji’s ‘part horse mane’ is used.
5. Elbow lock break
6. forward kick- bagua foot sweep
7. hand block spinning throw
8. Elbow cracking break
9. Shoulder jack break
10. Bowling break
11. Elbow lock
12. Elbow lock cut
13. slant cut- leg sweep wit back kick
14. front cut and break
15. single knee hand pick
16. leg block break- ghost stance
17. belt holding kick- ghost stance
18. foot picking- reaping stance
19. Hooking kick, inner kick- reaping stance
20. over the shoulder raise- lohan sky gaze stance
21. front raise- lohan sky gaze stance
22. hopping hooking kick- balance stance
23. Upper control back kick- balance stance
24. Close inner hook- dragon stance
25. Inside fireman carry- support stance
26. Outise fireman carry- root stance
1. Inside Spring:
2. Hitting and break
3. front cut
4. Twist back kick
5. front block hook kick
6. cross arm lift
24 forms shadow practice-
1. Block and strike hands- a. carving fist, b. striking block, c. hook hand down, d. upward block, e. striking push.
Two person: practic blocking various grabs and punches.
2. Bending knee escape- two person: escape sweep and counter kick
3. Bean bag kick- two person: escaping cut
4. Foot drawing- 180 turn bean bag kick. two person- escaping break.
5. Inner hook- two person: neck whiping inner hook.
6. Leg bending lift- two person- counter to leg hook. leg up raise in entaglement.
7. Slant cut- bow stance palm. can be used as a straight right punch.
8. elbow bending- slant cut with hook. can use as a hook punch.
9. Elbow lock- bowstance with upper cut. two person: upper elbow lock and cut leg, elbow lock and kick, snapping elbow lock.
10. Arm pulling- bow stance throw/twist. large roll back pull.
11.Forward kick- forward kick technique, neck whiping kick
12. Forward back kick- 180 foot drawing to bow stance, twist stance/spine. two person- kick and break combo.
13. Upper control back kick- cross step, arm rolling back kick.
14. Waist control lift- horse-empty stance grab, twist and squat
15. Bowling break-
16. Elbow cracking break-
17. waist control back kick
20. Over shoulder raise
21. Standing raise
22. foot picking
23. arm raising kick
24. forehead push-
As in shadow boxing you and combine the shadow shaui chiao movements.